Monday, June 8, 2009

AUV Ops - Day 2

Day 2

Today we had a full day of classroom sessions with Tom Hiller from GeoAcoustics to learn GeoSwath+.

Of course, at one part of the day, the intern was called for a DD run.

Things I learned from Tom:

1) In Geoswath processing the original Raw Data File must have filters put on to limit the noise.

2) Beneath the AUV, the number of data points is low, so the quality is not very high. Overlapping the path of multiple missions will add more data points so that the quality increases. .

3) I was talking to Nicole and Doug about their project on hard bottom communities in Delaware Bay, which we will work on when we return. The hard bottom communities are tube worms that use sediment in the water to create the reef. Although the worms are found all along the east coast, they only make the reefs near Delaware. Nicole is trying to find if hydrodynamics of the sediment transport is the cause for the hard bottom community’s distribution.


We had another great dinner, this time at Newicks Seafood. It was an interesting feeling for me, because I remembered when I was doing my Marine Biology course at St. Paul's that we came to Newicks to sample the water quality. I was sure then that I'd be in the field of Marine Sciences, and am starting to get myself back into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment